Tuesday, June 14, 2011

When things just go wrong

October 18th, 2007

Uh oh - this is something you should never do - format and reinstall windows when you're tired.

My girlfriend decided to upgrade to Vista, too - no problems there, let's do it even though her computer isn't the top of the notch, it should work fine enough and retail licenses can be transferred to new computer anyway.

Soo, what do I do when installing windows with her? I'll go and install fresh installation on my computer too!
Wise? No.

Well, it sounded like a good idea, to do a fresh installation and put that fancy SP1 beta on it to see if it does any significant changes over the updates I already had on my old installation.
Back up stuff. Check.
Back up stuff. Double check.
Stick the DVD in and reboot. Check.
Install Windows & SP1 beta. Check.

Remembered to back everything up before installing windows? I guess I should have triple checked.

There goes hundreds of mail, some less important, some more important.
There goes my UserContent.CSS
There goes my IRC logs.
Was that the DVD database I was working on flying out of the window?
Not to mention ~30GB of FRAPSed WoW Raiding that was about to hit the editing board.

Lesson learned? No, I don't think so, I'll most likely just do the same mistakes next time again, and forget to back up half my stuff even if I do double check I got everything I need backed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment